We are looking for a talented data protection/commercial lawyer to join a highly effective team, reporting to the Head of Legal.
You will work closely with other members of the Legal & Compliance team to provide legal and data protection advice to internal stakeholders across the company’s business divisions. This role will also cover general commercial negotiations and drafting services to the company and its subsidiaries. The successful candidate will also act as the liaison between the businesses and its external trademark attorneys for the management of the Pan Macmillan trademark portfolio.
Key tasks of the role include but are not limited to:
- Support and advise the company on compliance with Data Protection laws
- Keep the company updated on new data protection measures and guidance and provide training to data handling staff.
- Liaise with data protection advisers across the corporate group on intra-group data transfers and data protection issues.
- Review, advise on and draft a broad range of commercial contracts across all business divisions (including but not limited to publishing and rights agreements; services agreements; technology contracts and software licenses; and promotional and charity partnership agreements)
- Advise on a range of other commercial issues (including but not limited to copyright issues; prize promotions; advertising law compliance; and social media).
- Supervise management of Pan Macmillan’s trademark portfolio and act as a liaison between external counsel and Pan Macmillan’s internal business stakeholders
The ideal candidate will be:
- A qualified solicitor (ideally 2 – 4 PQE)
- Working with stakeholders at all levels
- Advising on intellectual property rights (particularly copyright law) and data protection matters
- Drafting and negotiating a variety of commercial contracts as mentioned above
- A strong and effective communicator with influencing capability
- A conscientious and highly organised team player
We’d love it if you had:
- Prior experience in iManage
- A passion/love for reading and books
- Familiarity with Google for Work and Microsoft applications
This is a full-time, fixed-term role, and will be based in our offices in Farringdon, London, with some flexibility to work from home each week.
All applicants must be able to demonstrate the right to live and work in the UK in order to be considered for this role.
Closing date for applications: 1 October 2023
Approximate start date: December 2023 / January 2024
Some of the benefits we offer:
- 25 days annual leave increasing with years of service + bank holidays
- Generous pension scheme
- 13 weeks company sick pay and discounted private medical insurance
- Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) and Mental Health First Aiders
- Life insurance – 4 x base salary
- Group income protection scheme
- Flexible working hours and summer hours (early finish during summer months)
- Volunteer Days and Faith Day
- Learning, development and training opportunities including mentoring
- 75% off all Macmillan books and regular staff book sales (highly reduced rates)
- Season ticket loan/advance
- Onsite health checks, flu jabs and massages
- Eyecare contributions
- Discounts on shopping, Tastecard+ and gym memberships; Christmas club savings
- Free breakfast and fruit at our office
- Seasonal parties, author visits and signings
- Give As You Earn
- Employee referral scheme
We are highly committed to equality and diversity. We welcome applications from all individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. Our full Diversity & Inclusion Pledge is available here https://www.panmacmillan.com/about/diversity-and-inclusion
Please note that all personal information which we process in connection with your application will be treated in accordance with our Recruitment Privacy Notice available here: https://panmacmillan.com/recruitment-privacy-notice. Please read our Recruitment Privacy Notice before submitting your application