This is an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic, conscientious individual to join our friendly and highly successful Tor Editorial team. Tor is an internationally-celebrated imprint specializing in speculative fiction/science fiction and fantasy, with sister imprints in the US and Germany. Tor UK’s prestigious list includes bestsellers, award-winners and page-turning debuts. It was also shortlisted for Imprint of the Year at last year’s British Book Awards. More information on Tor UK is available here: www.panmacmillan.com/tor
Key tasks of the role
In this busy and wide-ranging role, you will work closely with the Publisher and the wider editorial team to ensure the smooth running of the publishing process – taking books from acquisition to publication and beyond.
The successful candidate will be editorially responsible for a list of authors, including caretaking and managing author and agent relationships. They will inherit the editorship of a number of authors and will also be responsible for bringing exciting new speculative fiction talent to the list.
The role will include -
- presenting and pitching titles at sales conferences and internal meetings
- writing cover copy, catalogue copy and title information sheets
- briefing jackets and liaising with internal stakeholders such as the Design, Sales, Communications, Editorial services and Production teams.
As part of a busy and dynamic team, you will also be responsible for developing junior members of the team and meeting and representing the list and company to literary agents.
We are looking for someone who is passionate about speculative fiction/science fiction and fantasy fiction, knowledgeable about the field and who has previously commissioned in this area. We are also seeking someone who is highly organized and an excellent communicator, with the ability to multitask and meet deadlines.
The successful candidate will have -
- significant experience working in the publishing industry in a commissioning role
- a demonstrable track record of successful commissioning and publishing
- a love of speculative fiction/science fiction and fantasy
- the skills to do structural/developmental edits and line-edits to
a high standard, as well as experience of contributing to edits for
- an excellent knowledge of the editorial process from start to finish
- the ability to negotiate financially viable and favourable contracts with external parties
- the ability to project manage effectively and deliver on time
- commercially-minded with a proven ability to recognise opportunities
- excellent administration skills with the ability to organise, prioritise and manage workflow to deadlines
- an excellent eye for detail
- strong communication skills and a talent for organization
- experience with MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel & ideally the Google suite
- familiarity with the Biblio title management system
Hiring Manager: Bella Pagan, Publisher, Tor
Closing Date: 14 Feb 2023
This is a full time, permanent role, and will be based in our offices in Farringdon, London, with some flexibility to work from home each week.
We are highly committed to equality and diversity. We welcome applications from all individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. Our full Diversity & Inclusion Pledge is available here https://www.panmacmillan.com/about/diversity-and-inclusion
All applicants must be able to demonstrate the right to live and work in the UK in order to be considered for this role.
Please note that all personal information which we process in connection with your application will be treated in accordance with our Recruitment Privacy Notice available here: https://panmacmillan.com/recruitment-privacy-notice. Please read our Recruitment Privacy Notice before submitting your application